On this Independence Day, discover how the pastors of the American colonies, derisively called the Black-Robed Regiment by the British, boldly taught their congregations the Biblical principles to resist tyranny.
Guest host Adam McManus interviews Dan Fisher, author of Bringing Back the Black Robed Regiment: How the 18th century church stood for liberty and why it must do so again.
Dan is the co-pastor of Fairview Baptist in Edmond, Oklahoma, a former member of the Oklahoma House of Representatives from 2012-2015, and ran for Governor in 2018. His vision is that the American church will regain the “spirit” of the original “Black-Robed Regiment,” and once again actively engage in defense of truth and liberty. In an impressive 60-minute, multi-media presentation in full period costume, Dan travels the country to portray these heroic men of American history complete with verified artifacts from our War of Independence. (Check out his schedule).
Adam and Pastor Fisher discuss:
* Pastor Peter Muhlenberg of Woodstock, Virginia who took off his black robe in the pulpit, revealing a colonel’s uniform, and challenged the men to fight.
* Pastor Jonas Clarke of Lexington, Massachusetts who trained his men to prepare for the April 19, 1775 showdown with the British which led to the shot heard ‘round the world on Lexington Green.
* Pastor James Caldwell of Elizabethtown, New Jersey who brought hymnals to the Minutemen to use for wadding to fight the British.
* Pastor Naphtali Daggett, president of Yale, who rallied 100 students to fight the Redcoats, which led to his capture and brutal treatment.
* Pastor John Treadwell of Lynn, Massachusetts, who kept a loaded Flintlock in his pulpit, and who narrowly escaped death at the Battle of Bennington in Vermont.
* The disturbing similarity between the church in pre-World War II Germany and the American church today. Both have, by and large, remained silent in the face of evil.
If you are one of the first 5 Generations listeners to email Adam at Adam@TheWorldview.com, he will send you a free copy of the Bringing Back the Black-Robed Regiment book ($20 value) and the 90-minute DVD or Blu-Ray ($20 value) that features Fisher in period costume along with other actors and re-enactors of battles. Include your full name, mailing address, and whether you want the DVD or Blu-Ray.
Homeschooled himself in the 1960's and 70's, Kevin Swanson and his wife, Brenda, are now homeschooling their five children. Since graduating from his homeschool and then serving as student body president of a large west coast university, he has gone on to other leadership positions in corporate management, church, and other non-profits.